> I have little or no expertise with the MfD framework,
> but there is one glaring error in your example:
>

> >> snmpget -v1 -c public localhost nsIETFWGChair1
>
> A GET request must always include the instance subidentifiers
> (i.e. the index to the table).   A GET request on the bare MIB object
> name will never work - be this a column object within a table,
> or a scalar object (which needs the subidentifier '0')

Ah, thanks. Sorry, I'm very new to this. I did try:

> snmpget -v1 -c public localhost nsIETFWGChair1.0

which gave:

Error in packet
Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
Failed object: NET-SNMP-EXAMPLES-MIB::nsIETFWGChair1.""

That does give me a clue: it's looking up something indexed by an empty string.
I guess I need to fill in some code to initialize the indexes, but am not sure
how or where to do this.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help!

> Try
>     snmpgetnext -v1 -c public localhost nsIETFWGChair1
>
> That will at least have a fighting chance of working.

That gives me:

SNMPv2-MIB::snmpSetSerialNo.0 = INTEGER: 931428471

Consider the environment before printing this mail.

Thales e-Security Limited is incorporated in England and Wales with company
registration number 2518805. Its registered office is located at 2 Dashwood
Lang Road, The Bourne Business Park, Addlestone, Nr. Weybridge, Surrey KT15 2NX.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be
privileged. It is intended only for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by
any other person is unauthorised. If you are not an addressee or the intended
addressee, you must not disclose, copy, circulate or in any other way use or
rely on the information contained in this e-mail. Such unauthorised use may be
unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform us
immediately on +44 (0)1223 723600 and delete it and all copies from your
system.  Commercial matters detailed or referred to in this e-mail are subject
to a written contract signed for and on behalf of Thales e-Security Limited.