On 28 March 2012 19:13, Francois Bouchard <francois.bouch...@mpbc.ca> wrote:
>>  That's a  fundamental design aspect of this particular helper.
> by helper do you mean the script to build the MIB code?

No - I mean the 'table_tdata' code - see 'agent/helpers/table_tdata'.

When you register a MIB table using 'netsnmp_tdata_register',
you are setting up a _chain_ of handlers:

   The main agent framework receives a request,
   and calls 'table_helper_handler', which extracts and parses
       the index value(s) from the requested OID
   This then calls '_netsnmp_tdata_helper_handler'
       which uses these index values, together with the internal
       representation of the table, to identify which row is required
       (including converting a GETNEXT request into the equivalent GET request)
   This then calls your mib-specific handler, which can retrieve the
       table row entry identified in the previous step, and use the
       contents of that row to fulfil the request.

The key here is that _netsnmp_tdata_helper_handler knows which
rows (or more particularly, which row indexes) are valid, so
can use this information to turn GETNEXT into GET requests,
and pass the appropriate row structure to the MIB-specific routine.