Hi

Can anyone help with the following?

I've been trying to write a simple subagent in Perl just to experiment
with a view to maybe writing more complex stuff for our own software and
config. I simply cannot get it to work at all.

Firstly I used the NetSNMP::agent module with Perl as per the examples,
however when registering the subagent I get a non-zero error code back
(I cannot work out what the code is or what error may have occurred) If
I strace the perl I can see during the registration its opened the
/var/agentx/master socket, sends some stuff and gets a response back.

Switching on a load of debug on the snmpd.... (just put on separate
lines for readability)

/usr/local/sbin/snmpd -f -Lf /tmp/snmpd.log

-Dregister_mib,handler::register,agentx/subagent,agentx/config,agentx,ag
entx/master,logging:register,handler_registry,handler:calling,subtree,ta
ble_iterator,agent_handler,agent_registry

-c /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

I get the following in log when I run the subagent...

==========

agentx/master: unexpected callback op 4

agentx/master: handle pdu (req=0x7d2c2e2b,trans=0x0,sess=0x0)

agentx/master: open 0x817a4a8

agentx/master: opened 0x8179d08 = 14 with flags = a0

agentx/master: send response, stat 0 (req=0x7d2c2e2b,trans=0x0,sess=0x0)

agentx_build: packet built okay

agentx/master: handle pdu (req=0x7d2c2e2c,trans=0x0,sess=0xe)

agentx/master: in register_agentx_list

register_mib: registering "AgentX subagent 14, session 0x817a4a8,
subsession 0x8179d08" at SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.19774.255 with context
"(null)"

subtree: looking for subtree for context: ""

subtree: found one for: ""

subtree: looking for subtree for context: ""

subtree: found one for: ""

agentx/master: registered ok

agentx/master: send response, stat 0 (req=0x7d2c2e2c,trans=0x0,sess=0xe)

agentx_build: packet built okay

==========

Obviously I perked up seeing the last three lines there, but that's not
getting translated into a success to the subagent. When I do an
snmpget/walk around my OID I am just informed its past the end of the
tree and my sub-agent handler does not get called (there is no real
handler code yet, just a debug print to show me its being called)

I tried messing around with various entries in config files, I have the
main daemon config set with 'master agentx' on one line and regardless
of the name passed in my subagent script, it always opens

'perl.conf' in the config dir which I have set to...

agentx-master   /var/agentx/master

agentXTimeout   10

agentXRetries   1

agentPingInterval 3

All of which the subagent complains about, e.g. 'Warning: Unknown token:
agentx-master.'

The snmpd and perl subagent module were all pre-installed. From
/etc/redhat-release we're running 'Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)'

snmpd -v reveals

NET-SNMP version:  5.3.0.1

Web:               http://www.net-snmp.org/

Email:             net-snmp-cod...@lists.sourceforge.net

Although we do also have the NetSNMP pure Perl module installed from
writing SNMP clients/checkers.

I have also written my own very simple MIB and installed it in to the
correct dir, running snmptranslate picks it up without any errors.
Although I'm not really sure where the MIB fits into the Perl sub-agent
dev process, as there's no equivalent mib2c step I could see... So some
guidance on that would be handy

So I gave up on this and downloaded and build my own snmpd and perl from
source. This seems even worse. It doesn't attempt to read the config
files, open a socket or even try to send or receive anything.

Can anyone help me with these problems at all? Clearly I've missed
something fundamental on the source build and installation but I can't
work out what. I cannot see any special steps to include agentx support.
With the half working example, are there known bugs with this version or
am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks in advance

_ _

Bill Melotti
OSS Tools Manager

Email:       bill.melo...@mblox.com

IM:            bill.melotti.mb...@live.co.uk

Direct:      +44 (0) 20 8432 1332

WFH:        +44 (0) 20 8432 1322
Mobile:     +44 (0) 7810 000 333
Office:      +44 (0) 20 8432 1260
Address:   Olympic Office Centre, 4th Floor, 8 Fulton Road, Wembley, HA9
0NU, UK
Website:  www.mblox.com

NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is
confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised
that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination,
copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the
disclosure of the information therein.  If you have received this message in
error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.

<<image001.jpg>>