Bill Melotti wrote:
> NET-SNMP version:  5.3.0.1
> [...]
> So I gave up on this and downloaded and build my own snmpd and perl from
> source. This seems even worse. It doesn’t attempt to read the config
> files, open a socket or even try to send or receive anything.

Rather than dealing with EOL'ed versions (5.3.0.1), let's try to help
you getting the latest version up and running.

How exactly did you build the software (version, configure options)? Did
you remove the OS-supplied net-snmp packages first (like you should
have)? Did "make test" report success? How exactly did you start and
configure snmpd and your subagent? What's the code of your Perl
subagent? May I suggest to start with the example agent from the
NetSNMP::agent manual page first?

+Thomas