Fra: "Sverre Moe" <sve...@spacetec.no>
Til: net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sendt: 24. oktober 2012 12:09:23
Emne: A MIB file dilemma

This mailing list is for Net-SNMP, but I need some help with my MIB file that I
am trying to create.
The MIB file is being created programmatically and can consist of several
thousands of scalars.

Since the scalar name has to be unique and mnemonic I am faced with a dilemma.
The following scenario is very much like the actual structure I need for my MIB
file:
A MIB definition file for a file system: The files are scalars(OBJECT-TYPE) and
directories are groups(OBJECT IDENTIFIER).
The file system could have two or more directories with same name under
different paths and it could have several files with same name in different
directories. One directory structure might be duplicated between two top
directories.

To keep my scalars and groups unique I gave them the name of the full
path(illegal characters removed). For some of my scalars I have exceeded the 64
character length for the SMIv2 standard. One solution I can think of is to make
a separate MIB file for each directory, but then I could get tens and even
hundreds of MIB files which would become very unmanageable.

Any suggestions?

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail and any attachment contain KONGSBERG information which may be
proprietary, confidential or subject to export regulations, and is only meant
for the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use is
prohibited, if not otherwise explicitly agreed with KONGSBERG. If received in
error, please delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender
properly.