Fra: "Dave Shield" <d.t.shi...@liverpool.ac.uk>
Til: "Sverre Moe" <sve...@spacetec.no>
Kopi: "Heiko Gerstung" <he...@am-anger-1.de>,
net-snmp-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sendt: 25. oktober 2012 09:32:26
Emne: Re: A MIB file dilemma

On 25 October 2012 07:50, Sverre Moe <sve...@spacetec.no> wrote:
> The file system scenario was the closest example I could think of.
> The device I am creating a MIB file for has ALOT of parameters
> which is organized in a hierarchy must like a file system. Each node
> in the path can have a few scalars(parameters), but most of them
> are at the end of a path (a subsystem).

Typically how deep is this hierarchy?
How meaningful are the individual names?
How _long_ are the individual names?

> My application running against a test system created a MIB file with almost
> 5000 scalars and aprox 500 groups.
>
> According to the SMIv2 (RFC 2578) descriptor names must be unique and
> mnemonic. Using a hash is not exactly very mnemonic.

You could always try a combination of both names and hash values.
Given a path such as
/one/two/three/four/five/six/seven/node

possibilities for the final MIB object name might include:

{hash}-node (hash of directory path)
one-{hash}-node (use root in full)
six-seven-{hash}-node (use selected directories in full)
ottffss-{hash}-node (use initials of directories)
ottff-six-seven-{hash}-node (use initials plus selected directories)
one-ttffs-seven-{hash}-node (ditto)

In each case, the hash would be probably be calculated over
"/one/two/three/four/five/six/seven" in order to keep related scalars together.

You know what the path heirarchy actually looks like,
so are best positioned to decide which elements are best
taken in full, which can be taken using initials, and which
omitted altogether.
But that should give you some ideas to work with.

Dave

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail and any attachment contain KONGSBERG information which may be
proprietary, confidential or subject to export regulations, and is only meant
for the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use is
prohibited, if not otherwise explicitly agreed with KONGSBERG. If received in
error, please delete it immediately from your system and notify the sender
properly.