Currently I am running net-snmp5.5 on QNX6.2.1 and using a subagent for my
SNMP. Everything is working fine. Now I am trying to expand my SNMP MIB with
new functionality and I was trying to use pass_persist for the expansion. I was
thinking of using either Perl or Python for the flexibility. No such luck so
far.

Here is what I tried to do so far:

1.       I tried to setup pass_persist to use a shell script that adds a log
entry to a log file and I can see that this works. I used this to prove that my
snmpd.conf entries are correct.

2.       Next I downloaded the Python script snmp_passpersist.py and wrote a
Python script that uses this class and this is where the problems started
happening. I start snmpd with the following debug flag "-D
ucd-snmp/pass_persist" and when I try to do snmpget on the OID, I see that it
is calling the correct script in the debug message but I get an error message
that PONG was not received. My Python script logs a message when it is started
but I don't see the message which tells me that it is not getting called. I
made sure that Python is started in un-buffered STDIN mode "python -u".

3.       Next I tried to start the python script from the shell script used in
step 1 and I get the log message that the Python script started but it does not
work.

4.       Next I thought I will try Perl. We have another system that is used
pass_persist on QNX 6.5.0 and I used that Perl script on QNX 6.2.1 but I get
the same result as with Python script in step 2.

Unfortunately I can't run QNX 6.5.0 on my current system due to hardware
compatibility so I am stuck with QMX 6.2.1.

My questions are:

1.       Does pass_persist work on QNX 6.2.1?

2.       Do I need to run configure with different flags?

3.       Am I doing something wrong.

Any suggestion or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny Issa