OUD

http://www.alansondheim.org/oud.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/oudnow.mp3

return to the oud after several months,
we waited carefully for each other, then danced
then danced

today's Unix Fortune:

Shamus, n. [Yiddish]:

        A shamus is a guy who takes care of handyman tasks around
the temple, and makes sure everything is in working order.
        A shamus is at the bottom of the pecking order of
synagogue functionaries, and there's a joke about that:
        A rabbi, to show his humility before God, cries out in
the middle of a service, "Oh, Lord, I am nobody!"  The cantor,
not to be bested, also cries out, "Oh, Lord, I am nobody!"
        The shamus, deeply moved, follows suit and cries, "Oh,
Lord, I am nobody!"  The rabbi turns to the cantor and says,
"Look who thinks he's nobody!"
                -- Arthur Naiman, "Every Goy's Guide to Yiddish"