Hi all,

I know virtually nothing about AI, beyond what the letters stand for, but
noticed this new article in Quanta Magazine.  Does it pertain at all?
Interestingly it concludes that in order for AI to be human-like it will need
to understand analogy, the basis of abstraction, which may require it to have a
body!  🙂

https://www.quantamagazine.org/melanie-mitchell-trains-ai-to-think-with-analogies-20210714/?mc_cid=362710ae88&mc_eid=df8a5187d9

I have been interested in the book GEB by Hofstadter for some time, and have
been researching how it was referenced (specifically its Chapter IV
"Consistency, Completeness, and Geometry" and its Introduction) by Italo
Calvino in Six Memos for the Next Millennium, so Mitchell's connection to
Hofstadter and GEB is interesting on a general level.

Coincidentally I contacted her a year ago to ask about the Calvino connection
but she replied she hadn't read any Calvino or the Six Memos.  However, his
titles for the six memos -- Lightness, Quickness, Exactitude, Visibility,
Multiplicity, and Consistency -- might be exactly the kinds of "bodily" senses
AI will need to have!

All best,

Max

https://www.etymonline.com/word/analogy