Hi Eryk,

Recently I started using "imaging" sometimes for "imagination" to get at the
verbal/visual dynamic in Leonardo and Dante (as the earliest moderns, in a way).

I see Leonardo's painting Esperienza as a portrait of Experience which is akin
to Imagination.  Also it is an Experiment -- an attempt, something ventured by
some agency Leonardo had (if there is such a thing) -- just as imaging is
improvisation in search of an effect sort of.

When I look at it, the painting, I see "imagination looking at imagination
looking at imagination," a reference to the "experiment" or "Esperienza" of the
lamp between two mirrors cited by Dante and repeated by Leonardo.  I also see a
globe, an armillary sphere, and a clock among the rivers and mountains.

I see the point of Esperienza, then, to be saying "you have imagination too"
but more than that, it induces the living of it -- by me, as by the autore,
time being crossed in a way.  Leonardo made eye contact with those same eyes,
which were in a way thus his as they become ours when we look, like an eternal
golden braid.

Scouring and sticky-noting L's notebooks as I have been, using a lot of
control-f and in Dante too, I do wonder what a computer crossmatching the word
Esperienza from Leonardo and Dante and associating correlative visuals from
both would find.  Allegorically though the word is a "clean slate" of sorts.

Nature reads its past and writes its future in the helpful water-like medium of
time which giveth and taketh away.  Culture is similarly both geologic and
erosive.  Esperienza incorporates this belief in the garment, with a bridge for
input and finger as stylus, input output roughly, yet with human Esperienza "on
the inside" and not a servant, not in the slightest except as a peer, despite
being clothed.

Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, Leonardo spelled out the correct answer
not at all for us which must certainly have been on purpose.

Or at least I've convinced myself I see such things!  :)

All best,

Max