Hi Anthony,

I was trying to place "riverrun" too and I think it is from James Joyce,
perhaps Finnegan's Wake?  Some of the material seems to invoke streams of
consciousness, streams of data, "course" being perhaps the key word?  I was
interested recently to find that "curriculum" meant "chariot course" way back
when.

The word "course" has a lot of meanings and history.  Calvino talks in Six
Memos (in the "Quickness" memo, concerning speed in third millennium
literature) about Galileo's reflections on "coursing" in his dialogues,
juxtaposing the term "discoursing" but comparing verbal conversation and
thought to racing horses.

"Course" after enough repetitions starts to looks like a picture, which I used
to notice about the word "garage."  I'm not sure if there is a name for this
effect, but some have suggested that it's a state we are better off in.  🙂

Also in Six Memos, a very short book of five short lectures on literature,
Calvino mentions Joyce and Eliot as the two writers in English most steeped in
the medieval.  My knowledge of Joyce is uneven but I believe he was
significantly influenced by Dante who illustrated the divine nature of being
visually as a river of light that once beheld transforms into a turning rose or
wheel of light somewhat akin to a mandala.

"Liminal" is a word that I had to look up, because my working definition of it
(blurry, tentative) I know is wrong, though I was recently reminded that
"limnology" refers to the study of lakes.  Having looked it up, I see it means
something like "transitional" or "on either side of a boundary," kind of like a
bridge state.  Ovid's Metamorphoses, and Tolstoy's reference to same, are
related as well.  If we take a snapshot of a transition, and say "this is what
it is," we err.

Humans are perhaps the organism most capable of snapshots, and this may well be
one of our least adaptive instincts during the present crises.  Snapshots lose
flow, and disconnect from reality both external and otherwise.  I do think
Alan's Atlas 2 captures this theme well, adding the mystery of what Atlas 1
might have been.  In some ways it's an evocative work to juxtapose to Weiss's
works referencing Daphne.  Is the "intelligence" in the slime mold, the wood
chips, or something even less boundaried?  Clearly the two are connected, and
there is something about this "mapping" that does carry the whole universe on
its shoulders.  Metaphorically speaking but also somewhat literally too.

Snipped is a photo I took yesterday of "new shore" of the local Mississippi in
drought.

All best,

Max

https://www.etymonline.com/word/limno-

limno-
word-forming element used scientifically, "of or pertaining to lakes and fresh
water," from Greek limne "pool of standing water, tidal pool, marsh, lake," a
word of uncertain origin; the most likely guess is that it is related to Latin
limus "mud," from PIE root *(s)lei- "slime" (see slime (n.)), via the notion of
"moistness, standing water" [Beekes].

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=liminal&ref=searchbar_searchhint

liminal (adj.)
"of or pertaining to a threshold," 1870, from Latin limen "threshold,
cross-piece, sill" (see limit (n.)) + -al (1). Related: Liminality.