From: NetBehaviour <netbehaviour-boun...@lists.netbehaviour.org> on behalf of
Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour <netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2021 12:28 PM
To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
<netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>
Cc: Alan Sondheim <sondh...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] DHSI TALK 2016 RIVERRUN THEORY DHSI

Honest to God, I have Noh Idea!

You should tell us, you do amazing close reading!

Best, Alan

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 1:18 PM Max Herman via NetBehaviour
<netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org<mailto:netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>>
 wrote:

Hi Alan,

I am curious about the Four Thunders.  Might they compare at all to the
following "modes of reading" which Dante expounds in Convivio II, in order to
explain Ode 1?  (I am very unused to Dante's curious habit in La Vita Nuova and
Il Convivio of writing a poem, then explaining what it means in prose, then
another poem, another explanation, etc., not unlike a workshop or curricular
method ironically!  Therefore I cast about trying to decipher Ode 1 without
even reading the following page that explains it.)

Convivio II.i states:

"I say that, as was told in the first chapter, this exposition must be both
literal and allegorical; and that this may be understood it should be known
that writings may be taken and should be expounded chiefly in four senses.  The
first is called the literal, and it is the one that extends no further than the
letter as it stands; the second is called the allegorical, and it is the one
that hides itself under the mantle of these tales, and is a truth hidden under
beauteous fiction.  As when Ovid says that Orpheus with his lyre made wild
beasts tame and made trees and rocks reproach him; which would say that the
wise person with the instrument of their voice maketh cruel hearts tender and
humble; and moveth to their will such as have not the life of science and of
art; for they that have not the rational life are as good as stones.  And why
this way of hiding was devised by the sages will be shown in the last treatise
but one.  It is true that the theologians take this sense otherwise than the
poets do, but since it is my purpose here to follow the method of the poets I
shall take the allegorical sense after the use of the poets.  The third sense
is called moral, and this is the one that lecturers should go intently noting
throughout the scriptures for their own behoof and that of their disciples.
Thus we may note in the Gospel, when Christ ascended the mountain for the
transfiguration, that of the twelve apostles he took but three; wherein the
moral may be understood that in the most secret things we should have but few
companions.  The fourth sense is called the 'anagogical,' that is to say 'above
the sense'; and this is when a scripture is spiritually expounded which even in
the literal sense, by the very things it signifies, signifies again some
portion of the supernal things...."

My apologies for citing this passage given that it mentions so many hot-button
topics, nor do I wish in any way to condone the atrocities of medieval
patriarchy which continue in strong force today, but to some degree in order to
understand the Renaissance (or the birth of the modern by means of
un-forgetting, to use Weiss' term, the ancient as a fulcrum with which to
modulate the present), we must understand the necessity Dante faced of
reconciling non-theological poetry, art, and science in its earliest
re-appearance with certain cold realities of the machinery of his day (which
was none the less mechanical for being procedural and textual -- backed by
castle, ship, and sword -- rather than the fabric-like apparatus of moving
metal parts like cars and computers we associate with the term '"machine"
today).  Joyce recognized, I think, the hazards of opposing fundamentalism
always and only directly without respecting the full context of what goes on
both pragmatically and in terms of human kindness, dignity, and hospitality.
The deeply-felt hostilities surrounding secular and traditional world views are
no joke, and sometimes just hoping things can settle down a bit is the best or
only option, but where reconciliation or comity -- dialogue even -- can be
found there may be opportunities worth at least pondering.

It would be interesting to know what Italian words Dante used for "mantle,"
"rational," "hiding," "sense," and the like above.  I am trying to learn bits
of Italian here and there, but do not have the Convivio in the original and my
translation is very old-fashioned (Dryden I think).  Yet to me the Four
Thunders might be a reasonable way to approximate the four ways of reading?  If
I am not mistaken Joyce used the technique even older than history of allotting
multiple references to a term or template, so the thunders could simultaneously
allude to the compass points, historical eras, phases of an individual's age,
physical elements like earth and air, etc.  In researching Dante I've found
there was is a kind of tension between the numbers 4 and 3 in medieval times, 4
being more "pagan" as in the 4 seasons and 3 more doctrinally orthodox, so
perhaps the selection of 4 as the number of thunders could be part of that
context.  Since I haven't read Finnegan's Wake however I should probably not
talk too much about it!  🙂

The last Ode in the Convivio (which means "Banquet," as in an attempt to share
various branches of knowledge in summary form with non-scholars in vernacular
Italian) is called the Mountain Ode.  It seems to discuss Dante not being able
to return to his home city of Florence, having been banished when his political
party was defeated in a kind of civil war, but is hard to fathom.  However it
does use the metaphor of thunder prominently, regarding the love of philosophy,
art, science, etc.:

"When I arise and look upon the wound
Which undid me when I was struck
I may not so assure myself
But that I tremble all for fear;
And my discoloured face declares
what was the thunder bolt that leaped upon me;
For though 'twas a sweet smile that launched it
Long time thereafter it abides darkened,
In that the spirit cannot trust itself.
V.
Thou hast dealt with me, O Love, amongst the alps,
in that river's vale
On whose banks thou hast ever been strong upon me.
Here living or dead at thy will thou handlest me
in virtue of that fierce light
that makes a thunder-crashing path...."

All best and apologies for sub-scholarly musings here, use grains of salt
aplenty please!

Max

From: NetBehaviour
<netbehaviour-boun...@lists.netbehaviour.org<mailto:netbehaviour-boun...@lists.netbehaviour.org>>
 on behalf of Alan Sondheim via NetBehaviour
<netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org<mailto:netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org>>