Hi Ruth,

This looks marvelously done and I look forward to viewing the projects!

For some reason, looking at the overview link I got the sense that humanity is
still in the early stages of integrating technology with a sustainable planet.
Up to now, so much of our history has been that of extraction to meet survival
needs and gain competitive advantage.  When these are the compelling currents
little else gets much breathing room.

I wondered then: perhaps this applies to portable, wearable, and "hand-held"
information technology as well.  For many centuries information and processing
power were stored in fixed locations (monasteries, temples, museums) but now a
much greater proportion circulates close to instantly.  Items we easily carry
on our person now perform many of the roles that cathedrals, pyramids, and
universities once did.  (It is interesting that the French word for "wearable"
is "portable."  🙂)  Many of the most discouraging stories about information
technology today have something of the robber baron dynamic as an undercurrent,
but one can hope this will be relatively temporary as sustainability continues
to assert itself as an alternative (or at the very least, a necessary
complement) to extractive competition.

The current Finsbury Park project seems like a very realistic and powerful look
forward to the best and most necessary capabilities of technology and culture.
Our relationships to place, space and time, will be in many ways mediated and
manifested by our technological "garments" which both provide us physical
protection from the elements and help us to acquire and communicate our
knowledge, ideas, and values.  Networks of every sort are indeed the habitation
and habit in which we live our lives.  In this sense the trees and grounds of
Finsbury Park will be woven into the living garment of techne worn and crafted
by the visitors not just in the text, sound, and visual data that both the park
and visitors reciprocally input and output but in the larger physical fate or
future of each wrapped and braided with that of all others.

Does it require an aesthetic and poetic awareness of tangible metaphor to
experience the shared cloth of technology, people, place, and nature as a
garment in the wearable, portable sense?  Yes for certain it does, but it is
something all or many of us are very suitably cut out for, and everyone
appreciates a nice outfit.  🙂

Congratulations on the project and best wishes for a lovely return to real and
green space!

All best,

Max