Hi Giles,

If the pledge was around then, perhaps things may of been different. ;-)

 > I plead guilty as charged

I have problems with the guilt thing. I'm sure you meant this in a
tongue cheek way, but I have noticed a general nuance on the list
harbouring various levels of guilt when dealing with contexts around the
subject of climate change (as in modern climate) and the project 'We
won't fly for art'.

One of the many important factors to consider is how to claim agency,
stand with 'authentic' definitions which allow us the room to take
personal control as well as be aware critically, so to acknowledge our
own local perspectives and global sights on the matter. Then think about
how we can make a difference, if interested.

The other thing is, this really is not about blaming people, we are all
in this together. Each of us possess the capacity within ourselves in
evaluating beyond the immediate self, understanding those external
situations and consequences which cannot be dealt with by one single
entity alone.

If we need to blame anyone, it really should not be the messengers who
are making an effort to bring about effective changes for a better
world. It should be our governments for failing to incorporate earlier
on, realistic goals, programmes and activities in our institutional
infrastructures, for dealing with what we are faced with now. A major
part of the blocks and complexities, which have delayed many of us in
grappling with issues concerning climate change and learning about
global warming in a coherent fashion; can be placed at the door of our
governments allowing neo-liberal companies more concerned about their
profits rather our planet's survival to hire numerous, dodgy (so called)
scientists to deny climate change in the media world-wide. Many of
these, now discredited individuals have been proven wrong, but during
the Bush reign it was most confusing, many would use this as a way out
of facing ecologically based, world-changing difficulties.

"I see the consequences of global warming being relative late-comers to
the cascade of crises I think will befall our planet in this century. I
expect that our preoccupation with economic depression, pandemic
disease, the end of oil, the exhaustion of other resources due to
overpopulation and waste, and nuclear, biological and chemical violence
will distract us from paying significant attention to 'natural
disasters' precipitated by CO2 until it is far too late. Such disasters
may, however, be the icing on the cake that seals the fate of our
civilization." Tim Flannery.
http://blogs.salon.com/0002007/2006/04/05.html

Statements such as this one above may seem scary, but are we prepared to
take the gamble and not explore deeper the issues facing us as rather
than hedge bets on fait accompli?

I also wish to reiterate that the 'We won't fly for art' project is an
experiment to see how many are interested in exploring with us - as in
Ruth and myself, not furtherfield - from the arts community; the
activity and critical approach of facing a very difficult challenge for
us all and how we can deal with this via the context of how the art
world behaves. Are we in the art world willing to let things be the same
and not evaluate other possibilities?

The dialogue on this list has been authentic and I respect this, for it
has allowed us to get to the nitty gritty of things :-)

marc

 > Dear All,
 >
 > I plead guilty as charged, and here is the evidence, on furtherfield
no less, a review of this years Transmediale, to which  of course I flew.

 > I usually try and avoid such self publicity, although perhaps on this
occasion it is better to come clean.

<netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>