From: Renee Turner <geu...@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:14:24 +0100
To: NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
<netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>
Subject: Re: [NetBehaviour] DIWO: a host of whys

Hi Marc, Dougald and all,

Lists can have an odd dynamic.  It's often hard to keep up with the
pace of posts (especially when the DIWO rhythm kicks in) and not
having face to face contact can evoke perhaps more aggressive
it's tough at times to grasp the tone.  Not to mention, the "who said
what loop" is amplified as more mails are added to the pile.

As cheesy as it seems, I've found people on this list to be incredibly
generous with one another.  In fact, this is one of the few lists I
remain a fan of. (And I am an oldie on nettime, faces, empyre and even
the IDC list)  What makes netbehaviour cool?  An email like this from
Marc where he tries to rethink how something is moderated, Karen's
post about reintroducing ourselves to list members,  Simon's grumpy
response about Utopia (please read this with affection as that mail
made me crack a smile-the x punk in me sympathized ;-) and Olga's
carefully considered post trying to catch up on various threads
mentioned. (and let's not forget about the ongoing/moving Sondheim
stream and the re-worked heads that have been rolling around) For some
odd reason, counter to other list cultures, people seem to care. They
don't just academically challenge, but they share a genuine concern
over "the state of affairs". That also means ideas are sometimes
delivered half-baked and raw.   I'm hoping the glitches, bumps and
crashes are part and parcel of the project and are as crucial to the
process of discussion as the careful reconsiderations and the humble
apologies :-)

Okay, who am I?
My name is Renee Turner.
I'm a member of De Geuzen: a foundation for multi-visual research.
You can find our collaborative work here: http://www.geuzen.org/
I also write both digital and analog narratives.  That work can be
found here: http://www.fudgethefacts.com/
Next to this, although I was born in Texas, I've live in the
Netherlands since the early nineties.
Currently I work too many teaching jobs to keep my family in a house....
I'm the lover of a wonderful Italian man. We have a precocious six
year old boy who keeps us on our toes.
I'm a mixer of disciplines.
Lastly I have taught art since the mid nineties at various
universities and art schools.
oh and I live with a cat that's trying to dominate me...

Okay, guess that's it....I look forward to meeting others on the list
and ploughing forward with DIWO in spite of (or embracing) the
ruptures..... and I hope I have time to contribute as things move
along :-)

xx Renee

On Oct 30, 2009, at 11:07 PM, marc garrett wrote:

> Hi Dougald,
>
>> "Welcoming" was the word Marc used to describe this list to me, I
>> think.
>
> I think I mentioned that there was a variety good quality people on
> this
> list and that they would be open and would welcome you, something
> along
> these lines anyway.
>
> At this point, I am at a 'real' loss of what else one should say or
> even do.
>
> I take the blame for putting you in such a harsh place, I'm sorry, I
> expected something different - that'll teach me.
>
> I'm going to take a rest and rethink a few things - I feel quite
> disturbed by it all, as well as many other things similar.
>
> I may feel different tomorrow...
>
> marc

Edinburgh College of Art (eca) is a charity registered in Scotland, number
SC009201