Hi Renee & all,

OK - I'm back on track.

I was feeling (very) tired last night and feeling a little sensitive
about various things, which included the DIWO at the Dark Mountain.

Coming back this morning, reviewing posts generally, as well as
contributions related to the project I am now feeling much more
positive. Especially with Renee's, James' and other posts putting
everything into a more clearer perspective.

I have also been on other email lists for many years now, the same as
the lists Renee mentioned and others like Rhizome in the mid-90's, and
BBs systems before the Internet. And yet, I still get deeply involved in
the dynamics of it all. Sometimes in such a way that it can feel quite
raw, as though one is talking to many others in the same room, even if
this of course is not true physically.

Also, I have received a few off-list posts by newbies who are gradually
getting their heads around the list dynamic themselves. Offering, mostly
productive support for the project and the Netbehaviour list, with
intentions of getting involved from today and onwards. Karen mentioned a
few days ago, something quite intuitive about this project, this list
and the way that certain open projects such as this, can offer itself up
as being extremely vulnerable. Which does allow for uncertain
possibilties and events suddenly turning in unexpected directions and
zones, which can be unsettling for us, and the many who are involved. It
is a risk, because it relies on the chance that people will get it and
contribute in their own manner, without constant directing.

We have been criticized by certain groups and individuals who would love
us to fail, saying that top-down, institutional frameworks are better.
Which is a political stance, ignoring the need for a more authentic
discourse between artists and other creative thinkers. People like
Nicolas Bourriaud who has been trying to close down our culture and
reclaim its spirit for his own specific, personal and mono-cultural
agenda. Ellie Harrison wrote an interesting and thought provoking
article about Bourriaud's antics, which can be read here on furtherfield
called 'Altermodernism: The Age of the Stupid'
http://www.furtherfield.org/displayreview.php?review_id=360 - then you
have Ekow Eshun, Artistic Director of the ICA who closed the media arts
and live arts programme at the ICA in 2008. There is more, but I think
you get the point...

 >For some
 > odd reason, counter to other list cultures, people seem to care. They
 > don't just academically challenge, but they share a genuine concern
 > over "the state of affairs". That also means ideas are sometimes
 > delivered half-baked and raw.

Yes, the process of exploring at various levels, means that things are
not immediately resolved and much is worked through via participation or
collaboration, being a part of it whether in small or large way. As
Karen also said, it also involves an element of trust rather than
restricting options of discovery.

Anyway,

much thanks :-)

marc