Tom is totally right. However, whilst a good proportion of Wikipedia will be
authored by academics they will not use it as a reference. The same is true
of the encyclopaedias, many of which are authored and/or edited by the top
experts in the field. However, as the authorĀ¹s identity is left anonymous
these are not considered verifiable sources.

It is no big deal for the student to find a useful reference. Most Wikipedia
entries cite sources. Many of these sources are accessible on line, through
Google books, Project Gutenberg or Amazon. If not then there are these
places called libraries...

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs

s.bi...@eca.ac.uk  si...@littlepig.org.uk  Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/
Research Professor  edinburgh college of art  http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research into CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/