I wonder if this isn't the result of an absent somewhat self-sustaining
art community? In NY, there are numerous venues - it's almost impossible
to get into a museum etc. (that's "blue-chip" stuff) - but it's not
difficult to set up a show somewhere, or show at a smaller space - it's a
much broader base. This is especially true for dancer/musician/performer -
these things can be done fast and there are a lot of venues - everyone I
know here shows somewhere, including people who aren't making money from
their work. So the big deals are still there, but they're with "big"
artists who are also brokers - it's a different kind of corruption, but
it's one that's easier on bottom-feeders. A big problem is the relation
between art and design - so many young artists are concerned with making
it and the political/critical edge isn't there so much. On the other hand
earlier on, people like Vito Acconci and Dan Graham seemed ruthless here -
ambition was everything.

- Alan

On Sat, 1 May 2010, manik wrote:

> ...ART BUREAUCRACY IS EXTENSION OF CORPORATIVE *IDEA*...THEY EXISTED TO
> EXPLOIT RESOURCE WHICH ART MAKE TROUGH HER SHORT INDEPENDENT
> HISTORY/ARTIFACTS...REAL ESTATE.../ETC.../SO CALLED *AESTHETIC*AS SCIENCE IS
> NOTHING ELSE THAN ONE MORE PLAYGROUND FOR MARKET...ART
> BUREAUCRACY LIKE CLERKS BUY AND SELL...NOTHING MORE ...NOTHING LESS...*BIG*
> NAMES OF CURATORS...ARTISTS... AND ART BROKERS ARE LIKE HEAP IN SOME BIG
> STOCK MARKET...THEIR NAMES ARE EPHEMERAL...THEIR ROLE IN ART IS MOSTLY
> DISHONEST...EXAMPLE...IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SOME EXHIBITION IN MY COUNTRY YOU
> MUST CONTACT SOME STATE INSTITUTION...NOT SOME NET.CHARACTER LIKE MANIK OR
> SOMETHING...DEAL IS BETWEEN TWO SIMILAR INSTITUTIONS...MINISTRY IN SERBIA
> STEP IN DEAL WITH RECIPROCAL MINISTRY OF OTHER COUNTRY AND FLOW OF MONEY IS
> ESTABLISHED... INDIVIDUAL IS JUST SIGNATURE ON CHECK WHO GIVE LEGALITY TO
> THIS DREGS...FOR ARTIST LEFT SOME SMALL CHANGE AND *GLORY*... FINALLY *ART
> BUREAUCRACY* DECIDE WHAT'S ART AND WHO COULD BE ARTIST...ARTIST'S ARE
> COLLATERAL DAMAGE NOW ...THEY LIVE IN WORST UTOPIA EVER...IN WORLD OF
> *WESTERN POTLATCH*
> /.BATAILLE-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Bataille/...BUT WITHOUT IT'S
> ETHIC BASE...EXTINGUISHED AND HUMILIATE ARTIST IS HAPPY TO GIVE TO FAT *ART
> BUREAUCRACY*HIS BLOOD...IN RETURN THEY CAN SHIT OVER HIM AND HIS
> SURVIVAL...THAT'S LOOK TO US LIKE WORST PERVERSION...EVER...MANIK...MAY
> DAY...2010...

==
email archive: http://sondheim.rupamsunyata.org/
webpage http://www.alansondheim.org