Hi - As you say, though, matter to whom? And why risk-taking? This itself
is a particular social/aesthetic position (I keep thinking of Bourdieu's
Distinction for example), that leaves out Grandma Moses and a whole lot of
popular art as well; it also might create a (for me problematic) distinc-
tion between art and sport, since the latter most often operates within
given sets of rules.

I can also see doing art that doesn't matter to anyone, but that might
provide pleasure somewhere along the line, if that matters.

For me, all these terms, including 'virtual' and 'real' are rife with
problems based on categoricity and ideology - for example following
someone like Lingis, I think we're inscribed, that inscription and culture
goes all the way up and down, we're permeated, we construct (local)
meaning the best we can, we find our way the best we can (sloughing into
Wittgenstein or some such).

Another reason 'art that matters' bothers me is that - at least with some
of the poorer teachers I've run into - a crude equation - that meaningless
art doesn't matter; at that point, studio has too often announced x or y
is meaningless and therefore is condemnable. This is crazy and way away
from what you're talking about, of course. What might help to explain my
wariness of category is that years ago at RISD, I had a student driven to
suicide in part because her teachers refused to accept what she was doing
as art, much less good art (oddly, it was a form of painting one would
relate today to Support-Surface) - she was annihilated.

I'd say down with categories, or let them emerge from practice, let the
students decide and decide for themselves, not others. Let there be whole
families of usages; one problem with 'authenticity' or 'authentic' is that
even legal issues are on the horizon, as well as connoisseurship.

Please please don't misunderstand - I know none of this is what anyone is
saying - I'm just expressing my wariness at 'decision.'

By the way, careerism doesn't bother me; if that's what drives someone,
all the power to hir. Zizek I just don't get! I try and try! Badiou Boy!

- Alan

==
email archive: http://sondheim.rupamsunyata.org/
webpage http://www.alansondheim.org