You - and Helen - are absolutely right.
I think I was trying to tease out the difference between online/offline
communities in as much as online (such as here) you can be in/follow/listen
to the community (i.e. subscribed to the list) without showing yourself/be
known - an unknown neighbour, but neighbour nonetheless [neighbour is
probably the wrong term] Whereas in offline community you'll at least have
to be seen - go to the meeting, even if if you sit on the back row,
observing/listening, but saying nothing.

Thanks for the links!