Perhaps I'm missing something, but "dawn of computer revolution in 1997"
made me double take. The beginning of the computer evolution in 1997! Come
on, the conditions which gave rise to a computer revolution go way way back
- its not possible to use specific dates that mark the beginning, the world
doesn't work like that, there are many strands and trajectories of
technological and human histories, the formative years of the telegraph to
name but one, that made it inevitable that the current conditions of this
technological age would take place. But then I haven't read the book....;)
Tom

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM, marc <marc.garr...@furtherfield.org>wrote:

> Close to the Machine: Code and the Mesmerism of Building a World from
> Scratch
>
> by Maria Popova
>
> The sociocultural relationship between humanity and technology has been
> the subject of equal parts dystopianism, utopianism, and layered
> reflection. But what of the actual, intimate, one-on-one relationship
> between human and machine, creator and created? That’s exactly what
> software engineer Ellen Ullman explores in Close to the Machine:
> Technophilia and Its Discontents (public library) — a fascinating look
> at the riveting dawn of computer revolution in 1997, those formative
> years of learning to translate the inexorable messiness of being human
> into elegant and organized code, examined through Ullman’s singular lens
> of being a rare woman on this largely male-driven forefront.
>

> http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/07/26/close-to-the-machine-ellen-ullman/

TOM KEENE | THE ANTHILL SOCIAL