From:  <netbehaviour-boun...@netbehaviour.org> on behalf of ruth catlow
Date:  Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 5:21 AM
To:  <netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>, <bram....@gmail.com>
Subject:  Re: [NetBehaviour] An interview with Geert Lovink

Dear Annie,

 You have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons of my mind!

 Of course!

 All the time I think - what makes Furtherfield/Netbehaviour super-special is
this link between what happens in the experiments and conversations between us
all here on the list, and in the physical places in the Furtherfield park
venues (and on tour).

 The work done by our avant-art-tech networks and communities prompts wonderful
(I find them wonderful) encounters, activities and conversations with park
users, local residents (from every country- perhaps- in the world) and
exhibition visitors (local and international).

 But I too have had a feeling of un-ease about a disconnect with the
conversations that happen here on the list. This list is one of my favourite
places, and yet I find it hard to advocate for it, to people who are not
already here. Perhaps because email has now acquired toxic associations for
many people because of the demands it places on 'immaterial labourers'.

 I have a couple of thoughts about what we might do.

 Firstly- a Netbehaviour subscriber could volunteer to host, here on the list,
any of the following people

artists in our upcoming show,
a recent student placement student,
any member of our regular (overworked) staff-team.
I would invite them to join us as our guest, to talk about their work,
contribution and experience with Furtherfield. As a host you would be
responsible for making them feel welcome here and helping them (by mailing with
them in private) to negotiate conversations if they were to get spikey: )

 Secondly

 If there is an appetite amongst netbehaviourists for more sharing of
Furtherfield process, it would be easy (and pleasurable, and useful, and
actually quite a relief) to open up and share some of the things happening 'on
the ground'. As long as people could tolerate incompleteness (we have to take
care not invade the privacy of collaborators and partners), contradiction (I
have an unruly mind), and the occasional indefensible statement (we work it out
as we go) along the way.

 To give you a taste of what kinds of topics these might touch on let me start
with a brain dump of the possible [Netbehaviour] Subject Headers about
Furtherfield process.

DAOWO preparation excitement!
see here http://www.furtherfield.org/artdatamoney/debate/

Reflections on attempting to maintain critical and politically astute art
processes - without being po-faced and elitist.

Installing work by [insert the names here of every artist in Furtherfield's
upcoming exhibition The Human Face of Cryptoeconomies http://bit.ly/1VrLivJ ]
at Furtherfield Gallery.

Calculations, tactics and strategies for dealing with Furtherfield finances
Talking to businesspeople (lots of odd feelings!) and how Jeremy Corbyn is
helping

Summer at the Museum of Contemporary Commodities - open participatory process -
an extreme sport.
pictures here https://www.flickr.com/photos/http_gallery/sets/72157656437894006

Why Furtherfield Commons has had no landline for 3 months
 (How BT handed over our line to another service provider without our agreement
and then wouldn't get it back)

Preparations for an upcoming street programme 'The People's Magna Carta' at
Frequency Festival in Lincoln.

The Furtherfield website - opening up to noobs and improving diversity of
participants

7 placement students make themselves heard (it's all a bit tricky!)

Seeds of a plan for an experimental innovation lab for values based economies
The Oslo Innovation Manual (apparently the role of arts, design and culture go
unaccounted for)

How blockchain is redolent with the decentralised distributed promise of the
early web

How we're not falling for the utopian promise of blockchain - but skippy with
excitement nevertheless!

What 7 placement students said about their Summers with Furtherfield

How we are thinking about expanding outward and upward (and inward) at the
gallery/lab in the park and

Finally...

 Thanks to Geert (see subject header) for carrying out this in depth experiment
with the Netbehaviour subscribers; )
 and to Annie for investigating the cause of that sourness; )

 What do you reckon???
 Tell us, we'll do something!!!

 respect due!
 Ruth

 On 30/09/15 22:11, Annie Abrahams wrote:

hi Randall,

 I am not necesarrily asking for more, better media, for more livelyness, I am
not sure I want more ...

 I would like a content re-de-placement, more of the processes going on
(artistic and organisational) and les about results and "look what I have done"
I would like that there would be more slowness, more attention, more time for
open reflexion on what has been done, less representation and for now i see
that still more in the mailinglist than on the social media. I think we should
reinvent reinvest mailinglists! Netbehaviour first of all.

 see you

 Annie