the redolent cellular automata and fractal debris

http://www.alansondheim.org/automata3.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/frack.mp4
http://www.alansondheim.org/automata4.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/automata6.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/frack.png
http://www.alansondheim.org/automata1.jpg

these older programs are running in dosbox in linux mint; i
wrote them originally in qbasic. some of them are fractal, some
are cellular automata, some entangled i was exploring everything
from wolfram's take on automata in a new kind of science, to
pattern recognition. the programs run great in dosbox, but it
stops screen-grabs; the images and video are from an external
camera. the frack video and image is oddly redolent of a
swastika, which unnerved me, and led to the processed images.

the programs are relatively simple and lead to complex results.
they operate on an x,y plane, although i also worked with 3d
models of the same. i'm fascinated by the traces things leave in
the world, the relationship of traces to evanescent and fragile.
the estimates of the number of life-forms on the planet have
increased almost beyond belief, the largest perhaps at four
trillion. better to think of dynamic and overriding processes,
absorbing and restructuring everything constantly, speciation as
the establishing of temporary plateaus with fuzzy boundaries and
terrain. all of this is a mystery and fantasy on my part; every-
thing i think is farthest from the truth.