learning to listen, listening, is necessary. The fundamental problem I
think is that we're blind when it comes to ecosystems, energy, micro-
biomes, and so forth. The fundamentals of mycology are being rewritten as
we discuss, and what's emerging are whole universes of ignorance.
Meanwhile we plow ahead, destroying the planet. It seems to me that
accelerationism is so fundamentally human-based (perhaps man-based for all
that), that it really overlooks collateral damage. And what do we do, for

Acceleration, in mechanical physics, is the result of the application of directed (vector) energy to a body. It is a quantity -- meters-per-second-per-second (how fast am I going faster!) -- that results in ever-increasing velocity -- meters-per-second (how fast am I going?). Acceleration cannot occur without an ever-increasing energy input to the system. Velocity can be maintained with a steady-state energy input. Stasis, death, requires no energy input.

In a system with finite energy, acceleration has a limit, as does velocity.

We are not destroying the planet, we are temporarily altering the local energy balance. We are merely another expression of Life on the planet. Doing its thing. Pulsing, expanding temporarily.

Acceleration occurs in the presence of locally excessive eneergy. This is demonstrated at many scales in living systems where there is an energy excess. When that energy is entropically dispersed through a combination of expansion/growth, it slows down...

Pulsing (temporal, spatial) is a regular feature in bio-systems.

When we fixate on particular material manifestations of Life (as in a particular species), we miss the fact that Life is a continuous feature of the planet, and will continue long after we are gone *no matter what we do*. In my mind, the fixation on the material is what brings us to the hubris of the Anthropocene. Which, okay, plutonium makes a fine geo-marker. But what about the traces of Life from the Late Carboniferous? Talk about geo-marker, and Life leaving traces! The huge Applachian coal beds are the remains of Life at that time -- accelerated based on temperate climates (Appalachia was at the Equator), and abundant energy sources. And it altered the chemistry of the planet...

So it goes.

jh

PS -- as for all the preparatory conceptualizing on the word 'accelerationism' -- it seems mostly to be a symbolic discussion that has little to do with the real world except as simply another 'ism' to be discussed ad infinitum. if it cannot be connected to the real world, what's the point? Maybe we need to calculate how much carbon is emitted from 'The Cloud' each time we email the word.

PPS -- I heartily support the concept of listening in any and all contexts. It has the effect of healing many problems!