Dear Annie

you did (before you sent the long post today, which I could not read yet) make
me think, go to your blog,
and I managed to watch the theory video you had suggested to us. Thanks. You
even transcribed it, and I sense you have reasons for liking Barad's
terminology, though Ruth expressed some reservations or cautions.

I suppose, if you wanted more debate,  I could agree with your sense of how we
are entangled with assemblages, and how things (I glanced at a recent book by
Jane Bennett, Vibrant Matter:  A Political Ecology of Things, 2010)
emerge, collaboratively, how there are these strange concatenation of stuff,
and how maybe these are not so distinguishable from performances and what we
think we do when we intend and carry out. The interconnectedness and the
machinic I like, and all the recent interest in matter and materialism, very
nice.

I suppose as with all new theory vernaculars, they on occasion sound sexy (body
without organs, reterritorialization, folds –  you remember those), and then
they get repeated and cited, but I think agency has now been
used for a while, and we can let it be, no?  "Agency art" does not convince me,
as I also did not, as you imply, take "any technology or medium as  starting
point [of what? .of the agency?].  When you invite me to
participate in Distant Feeling, I did so as a performer, not a secret agent,
nor as a laptop. yes, we came together, there were relations. There were
interactions too, and they did not deflect responsibility, as Barad claims.

As to the agents and such, imagine a new word i now had to learn today from
reading about Donna Haraway's latest thing:  the Chthulucene !
(I think it's her critique of the hype of the Anthropocene).

And today, on the empyre list, someone from the US suggested we live in the
"Trump era."
That was news to me, I think eras take longer to arise and then be defined in
retrospect after a strong and lasting impact they may have made in some areas
or corner of the globe.

with regards
Johannes Birringer