On Jan 18, 2019 2:08 AM, Mayuresh <mayur...@acm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 07:50:52AM +0100, Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT &
> Internet) wrote:
> > We use EXIM since decades now from small satellite mailer setups to very
> > large ISP setups after migrated from sendmail and postfix as they brought
> > our hardware down in performance with heavy mail loads.
> >
> > EXIM is very (!) efficient - especially when build from sources the
> > "official" way (what is provided by pkgsrc by build options). This means
> > you just compile fucntionality / code into the binary what you really need.
>

> Thanks a lot - a first hand account really helps.
>
> In general searches on comparison between the two, most often claim
> postfix to have better performance than exim (some qualify the statement
> saying "for large queues" - which does not bother me for my use case, but
> in your case you have seen it scaling well as well).
>
> > The security footprint is very good.
> >
> > The config is very flexible but of consistent syntax (developed my a
> > mathematican - Phillip Hazel) - for me much more transparent then on
> > postfix. There are many of good examples and howtos out there which provide
> > single config files you could easily adapt and use. But you can split
> > config files too if you prefer that.
>
> By profession I am a in programming languages researchers and have created
> many DSLs in my career. I can say in light of whatever little experience
> of inventing notations I have, postfix notation does not really sound
> intuitive, particularly when the problem domain does not require it to be
> that complex. I'll definitely give exim a try on this aspect.
>
> Mayuresh

I prefer opensmtpd. Unfortunately the pkgsrc version is quite old. I like the
config it's quite simple. I also like postfix. The only problem with postfix is
the overwhelming number of options to research. I think you should post the
logs from your postfix test with Gmail issue. I bet someone here knows an
option to correct it.

Edgar