On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Hmm - but is a 9k or 16k packet on the wire not equivalent to a micro burst?
> (actually it is not that micro compared to 1.5k packets). At least against
> burstiness they don't help and make things even worse because the bursts
> cannot be split up anymore.

9k or 16k is just a very puny little size these days. That will not
give anyone much benefit. We need to be able to transfer large amounts
of data. This is going to be measured in megabytes or gigabytes of data
and not in kilobytes.

Moreover jumbo packets essentially not standardized and most network
devices switch jumbo packets off or do not support it because of that
fact. Devices that send jumbo frames may cause other devices on
the network to malfunction.

We are discussing something that is not useful for todays network load
and not standardized. TOE is the only answer to offloading transfers of
data encountered in contemporary networks.