On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:19:06 -0700 (PDT)
"David S. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Andi Kleen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:44:34 +0200
>
> > To be fair the situation as seen from the Linux kernel software perspective
> > is very similar for TOE and for LSO - both are patented by someone
> > and it might be better to not touch any of them because of that.
>
> LRO requires no software support,

Certainly at least the Linux driver which is part of the source needs to know
about it. That will be right in the source tree. And I suspect longer term
some more stack changes for LRO will be needed too to make it behave better
on the wire.

BTW a software only LRO would be quite imaginable too. All you would
need is a check if a burst of packets belongs to the same destination
and if yes the stack could process it as a single unit.  Not sure
if it would be really a win because it would need some cache misses to
look at the headers, but perhaps it could be done with a early prefetch
and some interleaving of operations.

This would have the nice side effect that the redundant ACK floods from
mitigation you complained about earlier would be gone.

-Andi