If a modern NIC doesn't support TSO in hardware, it deserves to be
outlawed :-)

On a more serious note, I'm all in for stateless offloads but I think
that dropping stack support for adapters that don't implement TSO, etc
(either in hardware or in the driver) is a pretty long shot - someone
will have to update all the legacy drivers out there.

But if this is what you want to do in the future, you should go ahead
and take my waiver offer, just to have a peace of mind.