> Do you need to do some range validation on arg before setting tun->dev->type?

I shouldn't think so, the worst you could do is set it to a link type
nothing understands, and then they just either go to cooked socket
(pcap) or confuse the app (anything that looks at type directly) or
nothing (anything that just reads and expects it in the format it
expects it in).  It's an unsigned short, so the worst someone could do
is rattle it around to something useless -- as far as I can tell.  If
this has some horrible implications somewhere else, definitely let me
know and I'll put restrictions on the range happily.

I wanted to leave it open for future arp types rather than restrict it
to a specific set and cause more patching in the future.

-m

--
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

"Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he's
 warm for the rest of his life."
                     -- Terry Pratchett