Stefan Rompf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> But what happens when the link from (2) to (C) fails? The routing protocol
> would realize it (actually it was me how has added IFF_RUNNING support to
> quagga) and add a route to (C) via (3) on (B). However, the "connected"
> route
> would still have precedence and the linux IP stack on (2) would happily try
> to continue using the broken link to (C), even if we add juju magic to the
> link layer to recognize and drop L3 packets.

Linux should just IMHO drop direct route when !IFF_RUNNING.

Another thing is if you have quagga (never used it, but I done things
like that with mrtd and even without IFF_RUNNING I think) you can
configure /32 mask on the managed interface and let quagga add dynamic
routes. That's what quagga and not the kernel is for - dynamic routing,
right?

> OPER_DORMANTL3UP is another beast. Dial on demand interfaces may be dormant,
> but of course layer L3 must consider routes pointing to them, or they would
> never dial.

I'm not entirely against L3DOWN/UP idea. Normally dial-up devices show
IFF_RUNNING and the internal state is not visible. I would rather do it
with another flag (and another patch, when they are users), signaling
that the device isn't yet connected even if it's IFF_RUNNING.

> OTOH, we don't need to be completely atomic as the netif_carrier_*-functions
> already require driver controlled synchronisation.

We can't assume anything like this.

> We just need to make sure
> that the caches are coherent before linkwatch kernel thread runs.

wmb() is for gcc and bus reordering etc, not needed here.

> Bad
> problem
> here: To allow software/userspace controlled probe and association packets,
> wireless devices must not go to netif_carrier_off() anymore when the
> association is lost

I'm told it doesn't seem a problem not limitation at all, right?
--
Krzysztof Halasa