* Stefan Rompf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2005-11-10 19:46
> fib_disable_ip() evicts all routes pointing to that interface, including
> userspace generated ones, doesn't it? If so, we don't get away that easy.

Right, the patch represents Jamal's interpretation. Once in a while
I please him by providing patches. ;-)

* Paul Jakma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2005-11-10 23:14
> Yep: Userspace can clean up its own routes if it wishes, once
> informed of the interface link-down event.

That is a very important point, actually it's the whole truth. If we
extend it a little and say, let's give userspace control of all directly
connected routes so it can delete/replace/modify/whatever if needed.
I know I repeat myself but this is achieved by not defining the address
as a prefix but as an address to avoid the auto creation of both the route
in the main table and the local broadcast routes. The routes are added
separately just after the addresses by the init scripts. The routing
daemon picks them up and uses them as default connected routers and is
free to modify them as needed.

I've heard:
 - insane
 - everyone else does it differently
 - userspace (routing daemon) might crash and system would be
   unreacheable.

Nevertheless this solution seems the most logical to me and guess
what, we don't have to change a single bit in the kernel. All we have
to do is support the dormant state which is very well received.