On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 21:33 +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> jamal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > well, the kernel doesnt add default routes - some admin or daemon does.
> > So whatever solution it is should not delete such routes either.
>
> Sure. Inactivate them instead and activate back on carrier (IFF_RUNNING,
> not the carrier alone) return.
>
> >> Seems inactive routes are really the way to go. But it should behave
> >> as active in every aspect except being ignored for actual routing
> >> (i.e., indistinguishable from userspace, normally added and removed).
> >
> > but what is this "inactive" thing?
>
> Not sure what do you ask. Inactive route, marked internally as such by the
> kernel when carrier goes down.

You lost me dude. Let me be explicit:

Issue 1:
1) There are routes that are added by the kernel. These are labelled as
being added by the kernel.
2) Others maybe added by a dynamic routing daemon and these would be
labelled as being inserted by such a daemon
3) Yet others are added by an admin using a command line tool such as
iproute2, route, etc. And i can tell those as well.

#1 is the contention, correct? at least this is what the dynamic routing
protocol people have been whining about since 2.2 i.e only delete those
which are added by the kernel. Is that what you are saying?

Second issue:
There is no such thing as "inactive" routes. Routes can be made to
prohibit, blackhole, throw packets or become unreachable. Is that what
you are saying? Or are these attributes insufficient and we need to
invent something new?
And to my ealier point: doing such a thing in the kernel is even more
bizarre than doing #1 - as we do at the moment. But your mileage may
vary.

cheers,
jamal