On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:24:05AM -0500, jamal wrote:

> Well, thats certainly one way. Then the oper state machines you are
> working on + stacking will work well. But this depends on if you can
> justify the reason for those virtual devices. With wireless you can
> probably justify to map the radio layer to a virtual device if you have
> a card that has multiple radios; i dont know how it would work if you
> join different access points (and each requiring authentication phase)
> with a standard 802.11 - someone told me a while back, this may be
> common for mobility so that handoff from one access point to another is
> easier.

The case where one radio in client mode is associating with multiple APs
is usually done by having multiple virtual netdevs, i.e., one for each
association. At least that's the way I have implemented it and seen
another implementation using the same design. In that way, supplicant
doesn't even need to know about these associations being done through
the same radio and it can just handle them as it would take care of
multiple radios.