Jiri Benc wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:09:13 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:

The AP will act like a bridge/switch according to these rules:

If a packet enters the wifi device, it will be sent down the wired
ethernet interface un-changed.

If a packet enters the wired device, the wifi device with the same
MAC as the source-MAC in the ethernet frame will be used to transmit
the packet wirelessly.

If I understand it correctly, you will remove 802.11 header and build
new Ethernet header in the first case and vice versa in the second case.
One of the results will be that the communication between two stations
associated to the AP is not possible.

I was hoping that I could get a 'regular' ethernet frame from the wifi virtual
station
interfaces, and also send them a regular ethernet frame and have it do the
right thing.  I
was thinking that the main problem with bridging wifi interfaces is that they
have hard requirements about their MAC address, so I was going to work around
this by just making the wired clients have the same MAC address as the wifi
device.

This bridge module would not be used on an AP acting as an AP, but rather
a piece of access-point hardware running virtual client interfaces which are
associated with a real AP.  If my understanding is correct (and that could
always be a false hope!), there should be no problem with having different
virtual stations talking to each other.

Thanks,
Ben

Well, I don't understand what it is good for (or maybe I haven't
understood you at all?) but if you plan to implement 802.11<->Ethernet
conversion in the bridging code, I'm definitely interested as this may
solve some problems with the generic 802.11 stack.

--
Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>