On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:23:50PM +0100, Olivier Blin wrote:

> And most of the time, userland has to poll for scan results or
> association status, netlink notifications would help.
> For example, it would be a lot easier for ifplugd to listen on a
> netlink, instead of polling for current AP and signal level every few
> seconds.

        All AP changes are sent as wireless events (for drivers that
implement iwevent), so you can use that to track APs. Kernel has no
way to know at which rate you want to check signal strenght, and for
some card this involve interrogating the card (i.e. I/O overhead),
which is why polling make sense (same for Scanning).
        Note that for Scanning there was some talks of sending
Scanning events each time the card has updated the Scanning info, if
Scanning is done in the driver (that won't work when Scanning is done
in FW). I guess the only thing missing is driver patches.

> Please consider this page about drakroam and net_applet as well:
> http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/EasyWifi

        NetApplet was already on my page, but thanks to you I've
checked it and it's now 404. Well, assuming your netapplet is the
same/continuation of the netapplet from Robert Love & Joe Shaw, and
not something totally different using the same name.
        I'll update that.

> Thanks
>
> --
> Olivier Blin - Mandriva