Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:26:01 -0800 (PST)
"David S. Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 16:19:42 -0800

Also, isn't a lot of the problem reduced if network devices
are affinitied?

Not for routing/firewalling, we touch the destination device's
counters on input softing of the source device.

IMHO converting skb->dev to skb->devindex and using ifindex sounds best.
It gets rid of the need to refcount as much but keeps the safety from
buggy protocols.  Ipv6 could probably use ifindex as well.

If we do this, can we keep a skb->dev pointer and assign it lazily
(sort of like we do with the timestamp?)  That way, we can hopefully
optimize to not bump the refcount in the hot path, but older protocols
can easily be made to work as they have been...

If there is any ifidx -> skb lookups in the hot path, that is liable
to kill us since we'll have to take a lock and grovel through
the netdevice hash table?

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>