From: Stephen Hemminger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> IMHO converting skb->dev to skb->devindex and using ifindex sounds best.
> It gets rid of the need to refcount as much but keeps the safety from
> buggy protocols.  Ipv6 could probably use ifindex as well.

        A couple years ago, we identified a performance problem in
IPv6 because it had the index and not the dev in a per-packet piece
of code. The result was spending a lot of time searching the device
list just to increment a (required) per-device MIB counter.
        I don't know if that's still there or not, but of course
those sorts of implications should be considered, too.

                                                        +-DLS