On Thursday 09 February 2006 12:05, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Eric Dumazet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:51:00 +0100
>
> > I'm sorry but last_rx is not available to User Land.
> >
> > You need a kernel debugger to access it, or mess with /proc/kcore
>
> There are tons of pieces of state tracked for net devices
> which we don't export to userland.
>
> This one is generally useful.  Right now, it may be the case
> that bonding is the only consumer in the kernel, but that
> might not always be true.  I can very easily envison uses
> by the packet scheduler and classifiers.

Are you sure? I remember at some point talking about using
skb->stamp for TCP RTTs, but I think Alexey flamed me for it
stating that ignoring the delays added by internal queueing in the stack
is wrong. And he was right of course. All these estimates
have to be done at the time the packet finally arrives,
not when it happens to hit the driver.

Same would probably apply to schedulers and classifiers. So I cannot
imagine a good use of this field. What does bonding use it for anyways?

-Andi