On 3/13/06, Saurabh Jain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to write a new rate based transport protocol in linux
> kernel (either as a module or directly within the kernel). Basically
> it would be similar to UDP but with features like dynamic rate
> control, connection and state management, error control like TCP. Is
> there any established framework which i can use? I know there is one
> for window based protocols like TCP where one can dynamically register
> different congestion control mechanisms. I would appreciate if
> somebody can give me some direction in this regard.

Look at how DCCP and TCP share code, using abstractions such as:

struct inet_connection_sock
struct inet_request_sock
struct inet_timewait_sock
struct inet_hashinfo

I suggest too that you read my OLS 2004 paper:

http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2005/linuxsymposium_procv1.pdf

Page 305: "3 Writing a New Protocol for the Linux Kernel" and page 307:
"6 Linux Infrastructure for Internet Transport Protocols", but I'm a
lazy boy and
haven't properly finished this paper, it stops at processing
connection requests,
also at that time I'm not sure if I had finished the work on struct
inet_hashinfo,
generalising the hashtables operations for socket ID lookup, etc, look at
dccp_v4_rcv and dccp_v6_rcv and you should get the idea.

Also I'm more than interested in discussing ideas for further generalisation of
the Linux networking infrastructure :-)

- Arnaldo