On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 22:31 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 14:40 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Are we talking about (1) the active probe response timeout after
> > transmitting the probe frame, or (2) the default passive scan channel
> > dwell time?
> >
> > If (2), I'd have to NAK this patch, as 20ms that seems really low.
>
> It's only (1). I consistently measured response times of within 1ms from
> my WAP54G.

Ok, that's cool.  Wasn't apparent to me from the initial message.  But
does that mean that softmac is doing the scanning with _probe_ requests
on each channel?  It's not doing passive scanning?

You mentioned that it took NM 8 seconds to scan, and that this patch
fixed it.  Active scanning has been out of vogue as the default scan
method for like 2 years with wireless-tools/WE, I'm not sure why softmac
thinks it should be different here.  Active scanning takes more power
anyway, since you have to power up the card to transmit the probe
requests.  That's why wireless-tools and Wireless Extensions switched to
passive scanning.

I'd have issues with softmac doing active scanning unless _specifically_
requested to do so, by using the SIOCGIWMLME with a iw_scan_req
structure requesting IW_SCAN_TYPE_ACTIVE.  But _only_ then...   Normal
SIOCGIWSCAN shouldn't do active scanning.

Dan