Sven Schuster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 02:36:18AM +0200, Nuri Jawad told us:
> > Did you create a high load on the system in the manner I described?
> > The bug once only appeared after about 6 hours here when line + CPU had
> > been mostly idle. But that was the longest time between failures. Can you
> > test with one of the 2.6.16 kernels I tried (latest was .9)? Can't say
>
> Unfortunately it seems like plain 2.6.16.x doesn't like the ide
> controller on my (VIA) mainboard, I'm getting I/O errrors on hda
> when booting this kernel (but hard drive works ok with -mm) :-(
> actually I haven't been running a plain stable kernel for a while,
> I've been running -mm kernels for ages...

So there's something in -mm which fixes your kernel?  It's usually the
other way around ;)

And it sounds like something which has been in -mm for a long time, so it
might not be a patch which I was planning on sending upstream.

Can you think of a way in which we can identify which patch does the good
deed?