On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, jamal wrote:

> Other that TIPC the two other users i have seen use it in this manner.
> But, you are right if usage tends to lean in some other way we could get
> rid of it (I think TIPC is a bad example).

Ok, perhaps make a note in the docs about this and keep an eye out when
new code is submitted, and encourage people not to do this.

> > This would both simplify the genl code and API, and help ensure
> > consistency of users.
> >

> You are talking from an SELinux perspective i take it?

Actually, what would help SELinux is the opposite, forcing everyone to use
separate commands and assigning security attributes to each one.  But
because TIPC is already multiplexing, it's not feasible.

Instead, I think the way to go for SELinux is to have each nl family
provide a permission callback, so SELinux can pass the skb back to the nl
module which then returns a type of permission ('read', 'write',
'readpriv').  This way, the nl module can create and manage its own
internal table of command permissions and also know exactly where in the
message to dig for the command specifier.

> My view: If you want to have ACLs against such commands then it becomes
> easier to say "can only do ADD but not DEL" for example (We need to
> resolve genl_rcv_msg() check on commands to be in sync with SELinux as
> was pointed by Thomas)

This already exists, to some extent, but only for some protocols. You can
see examples of existing permission tables managed by SELinux in:
 security/selinux/nlmsgtab.c

The hope move this out of SELinux and into each nl module, which is much
more manageable and scalable.

- James
--
James Morris