Às 3:45 PM de 1/12/2017, David Miller escreveu:
> From: Joao Pinto <joao.pi...@synopsys.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 15:39:47 +0000
>
>> In my understanding the advantage is to prepare the future.
>
> If the driver is named foo or bar, yet in both cases loads and
> properly attaches to the user's device, the user does not care.

Of course. Although my car works I like to open the hood a see it clean and
organized. Gives the user more confidence.

> Therefore, there is no bonafide benefit to the user.
>
> You aren't getting past that point.
>
> You also are not addressing the pain this will cause for long
> term maintainence of this driver.

I am aware. I can co-maintain it if current maintainers wish it, no problem with
that. My activity at Synopsys in mainline contribution, so it is part of my job.

> I'm the one who does all of the backporting of stmmac bug fixes to
> -stable, so I for one care a lot about this.
>
> You are making more work for me and lots of other people by renaming
> this driver and I don't think you are considering that at all.

I understand, it is a lot of work. I volunteer to help.

Joao