On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:23 AM, Francois Romieu <rom...@fr.zoreil.com> wrote:
> Cong Wang <xiyou.wangc...@gmail.com> :
> [...]
>> alloc_skb(GFP_KERNEL) itself is sleeping, so the new wait api is still
>> needed.
>
> The task state change warning is the symptom.
>
> The deeply nested alloc_skb is the problem.
>
> Diagnosis: nesting is wrong. It makes zero sense. Fix it and the
> implicit task state change problem automagically goes away.
>
> alloc_skb() does not need to be in the "while" loop.

This is exactly what I describe in my changelog, don't know
why you want to repeat it...

> alloc_skb() does not need to be in the {prepare_to_wait/add_wait_queue ...
> finish_wait/remove_wait_queue} block.

If you ever read the followup patch of this one, you will find:

"
Of course, the logic itself is suspicious, other sendmsg()
could handle skb allocation failure very well, not sure
why ATM has to wait for a successful one here. But probably
it is too late to change since the errno and behavior is
visible to user-space. So just leave the logic as it is.
"

> alloc_tx() is not correctly named: given its original content, it deserves
> to be called something like:

Please don't expect me to fix many things in one patch, let's
fix each of them separately, agreed?

> "wait_for_decent_tx_drain_and_alloc_by_hand_coz_i_dont_trust_the_mm_subsystem_and_i_dont_know_what_i_want"
>
> I claim that:
> - alloc_tx() should only perform the "wait_for_decent_tx_drain" part
> - alloc_skb() ought to be done directly in vcc_sendmsg
> - alloc_skb() failure can be handled gracefully in vcc_sendmsg
> - alloc_skb() may use a (m->msg_flags & MSG_DONTWAIT) dependant
>   GFP_{KERNEL / ATOMIC} flag
> - most of it can be done in a longterm maintenance pain minimizing
>   way. Call it a side-effect: I don't claim that it *must* be done
>   this way.

Never disagree, but again, please ensure there is no API brokeness
as I mentioned in the followup patch which you missed. Apparently
my ATM knowledge is not enough to justify the API/ABI.

Thanks.