On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 01:01 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > My point wasn't really about performance here, more that systems needing
> > this level of performance (server farm is just an example) will probably
> > be on an 'inside' network with firewalling being done elsewhere (at the
> > access layer, to use the Cisco paradigm). It's just not good design to
> > attach such systems directly to an untrusted network, IMHO. So these
> > systems just don't need netfilter capabilities.
>
> Don't think of the highend. It is exotic and rare.
Sure. But isn't the high end exactly where these new technologies are
intended to fit?

> Think of the ordinary single linux box somewhere at a rackspace provider
> which
> represents the majority of Linux boxes around.
How many of those need 10G nics?

> With a not too skilled admin who mostly uses the default settings of his
> configuration.
> For that running firewalling on the same box makes a lot of sense.
Yup. I run a few of those. And I run firewalls on them. But they're on
1.5M T1 pipes at best.
I probably fit into your 'not too skilled' category, too :)

> Normally it is not that loaded and it doesn't matter much how it performs,
> but it might be occasionally slashdotted and then it should still hold up.
>
> BTW basic firewalling is not really that bad as long as you don't have too
> many
> rules. Mostly conntrack is painful right now. I'm sure at some point it will
> be fixed too.
Actually, I wasn't aware of any pain with conntrack, it works great for
me. But like I said, I don't run any real high speed connections.

We're focusing on netfilter here. Is breaking netfilter really the only
issue with this stuff? I know you mentioned some other concerns (about
TOE specifically), they were really scalability things though weren't
they - like you're not convinced this really solves any performance
issues long term. I'm certainly not qualified to discuss that, hopefully
some of the others will weigh in here.