On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 22:47 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > So perhaps there's a good argument to make that a Linux system with the
> > right hardware could be considered a core device. Likely any place you
> > have such a system it would be dedicated to just moving data as well as
> > possible, and let other systems do the other stuff. You wouldn't want
> > your server farm systems to also be your firewalls.
>
> Why not? While Linux firewall performance is not flawless its problems
> (e.g. slow conntrack) seems to be mostly in an area where TOE cannot
> do much about.
No doubt you *can* do this, but would you want to?
My point wasn't really about performance here, more that systems needing
this level of performance (server farm is just an example) will probably
be on an 'inside' network with firewalling being done elsewhere (at the
access layer, to use the Cisco paradigm). It's just not good design to
attach such systems directly to an untrusted network, IMHO. So these
systems just don't need netfilter capabilities.

> > Bottom line - these technologies seem to me to have a place in a well
> > designed network.
>
> I think there is a web page listing why it's bad, but here
> a quick summary:
>
> One worry is to debug it all together. Currently we have a single stack
> to debug, although it's already difficult to control the complexity as it
> grows more bells and whistles.
>
> Just take a look at Cisco IOS release notes to see how hard
> and difficult it is to get it all to work together.
No argument there!