On Tue, 18 July 2006 23:08:01 +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 02:15:17PM +0200, J?rn Engel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
> wrote:
> >
> > Your description makes it sound as if you would take a huge leap,
> > changing all in-kernel code _and_ the userspace interface in a single
> > patch.  Am I wrong?  Or am I right and would it make sense to extract
> > small incremental steps from your patch similar to those Van did in
> > his non-published work?
>
> My first implementation used existing kernel code and showed small
> performance win - there was binding of the socket to netchannel and all
> protocol processing was moved into process context.

Iirc, Van didn't show performance numbers but rather cpu utilization
numbers.  And those went down significantly without changing the
userspace interface.

Did you look at cpu utilization as well?  If you did and your numbers
are worse than Vans, he either did something smarter than you or
forged his numbers (quite unlikely).

Jörn

--
Sometimes, asking the right question is already the answer.
-- Unknown