On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 17:31 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Piet Delaney wrote:
> > I wonder if Microsoft is providing the "big challenge" to porting the
> > same GUI to linux. The world really doesn't need yet another Java
> > language. Gosling is a Genius, I studied his X11 News Server enough
> > to know first hand. Microsoft lost in court with their violating the
> > Java standards and C sharp seems to be just another stratagy to their
> > bizarre attempt to world domination (Like the SCO mess).
>
> Runtime dynamic bytecode languages -- Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, ... --
> do seem to be all the rage.
>
> As DaveM noted, though, C# is fully supported under Linux.
>
> Or maybe they could go for Gtk+, which has successfully been used to
> maintain complex GUIs apps on both Windows and Linux.  GIMP is the most
> notable example, but use of Gtk+, GLib, and mingw has meant that you can
> build Linux-ish apps on Windows without nasty porting layers like Cygwin.

Perhaps, but my experience with GTK has been that it's difficult
to get installed right if you put it on /usr/local. I tried compiling
ethereal for our platform and it needed GTK and a series of other
libraries. I suspect it's likely a major effort to migrate from a
Microsoft C sharp environment to GTK.

-piet

--
Piet Delaney