On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Jiri Pirko <j...@resnulli.us> wrote:
> Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 02:39:42PM CEST, steven.l...@broadcom.com wrote:
>>On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:31 AM, Jiri Pirko <j...@resnulli.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> You need to split the config option to those that are per-port and to
>>> those that are per-asic. For each family, you have to use ither
>>> devlink_port of devlink handle. Also, you need to split into those that are
>>> permanent and to those who are teporary (until reset). I think you might
>>> need some flags for that.
>>>

>>All these are permanent; none are temporary - that's (partially) why
>>we consider these to be devlink/device parameters rather than a
>>netdev/ethtool thing, since they take effect after the next reset and
>>before any drivers are loaded (i.e. the card uses these parameters for
>>its default/startup configuration).
>
> Understood. But I think that this iface should be capable to serve the
> options of non-permanent as well. Or this could be 2 separate interfaces
> with 2 separate cmd pair. Thoughts?

I would prefer to keep this command for permanent config only, and use
a separate command for transient configuration.  I think that
transient device configuration should be tackled in the separate
discussion that was started in the RFC version of this patchset,
related to moving ethtool ops to devlink/netlink.

I think that's a separate topic that requires a little more thought
and discussion, but really isn't that related to this current patchset
for permanent device configuration.  What do you think?

Steve